FELLOWSHIP IN ORTHOPEDIC RHEUMATOLOGY
2020 onwards we would be starting “Fellowship in Orthopedic Rheumatology” under aegis of Indian Orthopaedic Rheumatology Association (IORA) in academic collaboration with Indian Stem Cell Study Group (ISCSG) association, Indian Orthopaedic Assocaition and Dr Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law university with the laid down criteria (mentioned below)
The duration of fellowship would be for six months with classroom &proposed online contact program. There will be hospital and clinical observations as well. The fellowship would also strive to ensure NMC/ MCI credit hours for the course. The finer details of the course module for this fellowship will be laid out by the scientific committee members of IORA and ISCSG and will be shared at appropriate juncture with all the stakeholders.
Globally, regenerative science in orthopaedics holds the future to treating certain conditions where clinicians face stagnation and challenges in the available treatment modalities (such as moderate stage of progressive osteoarthritis, uncontrolled Rheumatoid Arthritis, AVN head of Femur, DMD, etc.) therefore the fellowship would endeavor to update and inbuild regenerative approach in the fellowship curriculum.
It is also envisaged that university of repute would be roped in to award this prestigious fellowship. A law university would be taking care of the legal aspect of regenerative medicine along with insight & guidance into the challenging medical litigations in Orthorheumatological clinical practice The fellowship would be jointly awarded by the RML university and IORA in academic collaboration with ISCSG association, Indian Orthopaedic association. There would be onsite clinical observership/ exposure at VISA hospital of Foot & Ankle Surgery in Chennai, advances in hand surgery at Pune, SRKRC institution in Surat (NABH accredited Regional Blood Transfusion & Research Centre)
The total duration would be of six months during where the fellows would be exposed to Orthopaedic Rheumatology (Medical part, Surgical and Rehabilitation part of Orthopaedic Rheumatology specially to hand and foot surgeries observership), regenerative science in Orthopedic Rheumatology ,medical litigations around orthopaedic rheumatology and legal aspects of the proposed subject with special consideration to Stem cells /Regenerative Science clinical uses.A registered scientific ethics committee from Lucknow is in place for ethical approval of fellows’ research journey and publication.
Duration – 6 months
No of Fellows intake – 10
Selection criteria –
- Age under 50 years of age
- Life member of IORA & ISCSG
- Two years of clinical experience for Postgraduates in MS/DNB 0rthopaedics
- Five years of clinical experience for Postgraduate Diploma in Orthopaedics
- Indian nationals – Rs 35,000/- (INR)
- SARCC Nationals – $ 700/- (USD) and
- Foreign nationals other than SARCC – $1200/- (USD)
The surgeons who are meeting the above criteria will be intimated for the participation of fellowship under IORA and ISCSG. The fellows should have a previously demonstrated commitment in the subject
|1||Lucknow – 3 days training in basics of· Orthopedic rheumatological management.
· Research, analytics & paper writing,
· Public Health approach to the fellowship &
· Legal aspect of the regenerative & orthopaedic rheumatology
|2||AIIMS Delhi – 2 days training in basics of stem cell and regenerative science ( under proposal)/Provisional|
|3||Oral presentation on protocol [March month in ISCSG conference & September month in IORA conference]|
|4||Chennai – 3 days training· 2 days observership in foot, ankle surgeries at VISA hospital.
· 1 day symposium and training in medical rheumatology at VISA hospital.
|5||Pune – 2 days observership in hand surgeries|
|Surat – 2+ days· 2 days of practical training in regenerative procedures and protocols in regenerative science for various challenging clinical situations
· Later half day of Pre fellowship final exams and viva
Lucknow – Final one day exam with Viva, Practical, OSCE
|Note: 1. It is mandatory for the fellows to attend the ISCSG conference for oral presentation which is an integral part of Fellowship programme.
2. The fellows final/ last contact would be at Lucknow for practical training where he/she is expected to be in process of publishing an original or review article in indexed national or international journal.
3. At least 1 Paper publication by the end of the fellowship is mandatory
4. Fellows who fail to publish a scientific paper will not be awarded the fellowship and the fellowship will be withheld.
5. Fellows will be graduated 1 months after the completion of the course (i.e. Feburary to July fellows will be graduated in September IORA conference and August to January fellows will be graduated in March ISCSG conference).
6. Attendance at all centers and completion of e-modules are mandatory for receiving the fellowship.
7. A score of 75% is expected for awarding the Fellowship
8. Fellows later can write in their resume Fellowship in Orthopaedic Rheumatology (FEIORA)’
9. All contact will be onsite and online (e-modules will given for enhanced outcomes)
The stay arrangements would be facilitated by IORA & ISCSG association during this period of
teaching in Chennai, Surat, Pune and Lucknow but payments will be borne by the fellows. The course fee does not cover travel, stay, publication and conference expenses (There would be a committee to resolveany difference of opinion, however in case of any dispute the decision of the Course head/Director would be final)
The opportunity of learning and interaction would be of immense value to boost the scientific
knowledge among the fellows. The prescribed textbook for teaching would be the upcoming “Textbook of Orthopaedic Rheumatology” and an e-book under innovation info, “Autologous platelet rich plasma in Musculoskeletal disorders”.
Applications should be made stating
- Letter of Intent – Why the candidate should be included in the fellowship program? (Min 250 words)
- Purpose – How the fellowship will help the candidates’ career plan?(Min 250 words)
List of documents needed with the application:
- Brief CV
- MCI/ NMC recognized Degree/ Certificates (MCI, Degree of MBBS and Higher Qualification)
- Certificates of attendance – National & International Conference in the field concerned
- Abstract proposal (350 words) for research work during fellowship
- Two letters of recommendation by members of IORA and or ISCSG with 5 years of standing.
Applications may be sent by email to
- Application should be sent to Editor in Chief, International Journal of Orthopaedic Rheumatology
- Fellows should submit a Post Fellowship report for the publication in International Journal of Orthopaedic Rheumatology to Editor in Chief at the end of Fellowship.
Closing Dates for submitting request – 30th March 2020, All mails to [email protected]
Faculties for Fellowship
|Lucknow (4 days)||1. Prof. Manish Khanna (Course Director)
2. Dr Anil Balapure
3. Prof S S Jha
4. Senior Faculty of Law Univ
5. Dr. Syed Belal Hassan (Course Deputy Director cum Coordinator)
6. Dr. Imran Khan
7. Dr. Saifer Khan
8. Dr Raj kapoor
|Delhi (2 days)||Dr Shilpa Sharma, Prof Sujata Mohanty
Additional Professor Department of Pediatric Surgery AIIMS, New Delhi and Prof ,Stem cell Facilty ,AIIMS.New Delhi
|Chennai (3 days)|| Dr. TV Raja, Dr. Sri Ram
VISA Hospital – Foot & Ankle Surgery
|Pune (2 days)||Dr. Pankaj Jindal
Hand Surgery, Pune
|Surat (3 days)||Dr. VR Ravi, Dr. Kanchan Mishra
Raktadan Kendra & Research center (SRKRC), Surat